As you re-examine your physician alignment strategy, one viable option may be a co-management arrangement – an organized and formal mechanism to actively engage a group of physicians to achieve greater operational efficiencies and improved patient care outcomes. These arrangements, also called clinical co-management and medical co-management agreements, typically focus on one clinical service line, such as women’s care, orthopedic/rehabilitative surgery, or cardiac services.
Our multi-disciplinary team of experts, including service line and physician leaders, have helped hospitals establish medical co-management structures with physicians and affiliated physician groups for a variety of service lines. With our deep experience in physician-hospital relationships and operational and clinical expertise, we understand what works, what doesn’t, and why. We are also experienced in implementing co-management and establishing required operational functions, such as reporting, compensation management, and payer contracting, as well as in preparing fairness opinions to assure that the arrangements comply with regulatory guidelines.
WE CAN ASSIST HOSPITALS:
- Determine physician interest and capabilities in co-management
- Design organizational structure and each party’s scope of responsibilities
- Develop participation criteria and performance metrics
- Recommend compensation, incentives, and payment models and develop terms and documents
- Analyze financial impact analysis on the service line and participating physicians
- Provide education/facilitation on the benefits of the new agreement to the organization, patients, and staff
- Implement the co-management arrangement and onboard physicians
- Prepare fairness opinions on the proposed agreement